Foreigners (was: How do I break into tech writing)

Subject: Foreigners (was: How do I break into tech writing)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:53:27 -0700 (PDT)

There is a reeeeeeal simple reason why America has to import so many foreign
high-tech workers...

Americans are lazy.

I swear, every American guy we interview is some lazy "I want everything and I
don't want to have to work for it" type. They want big titles, big money, and
zero responsibility. Unfortunately, too much of American society seems to teach
people - be a lazy, whining, obsessive freak and you'll get ahead.

This goes triple for tech writers. If I had a dime for everytime I had to
listen to the incessant whining from writers who prize their ability to
communicate as if it were a superpower and that their company doesn't respect
their tender and amazing skills.

Sheesh, shut the hell up and write. Try being greatful that you don't live in
abject poverty in Bangalore.

If you want to break into tech writing - learn some technical skills and write
some documents. Go get an entry level job and work your way up. If you expect
some Senior Executive Master Ultra-Amazing Technical Communication Artist job
on day one, forget it. Just because you can speak English and write a good
sentence does not make you an accomplished technical writer.

And if you're pissed that you can't compete with foreigners, why not try
learning some skills that make you more competitive. Duh!

Sorry folks, hard work is still a requirement in today's world. And whining
does not qualify as work.

Now get back to work, you.

Andrew Plato

http://mail.yahoo.com/