scripting for FrameMaker

Subject: scripting for FrameMaker
From: Alison Wyld <a -dot- wyld -at- kudos-fr -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:57:42 +0200

Hello All,

Apologies if this is a FAQ - I've searched the archive and drawn a blank,
but that might be down to my searching
abilities.

Can anyone recommend a good tool for developing scripts to work with
FrameMaker (specifically FM 5.5.3 +SGML) ?
We are running on NT. Two examples of things we'd like to be able to do that
are crying out for scripts:

* When we upgrade to 5.5.6 we think we will have to open, save then close
every file. As we have approximately
60 books to upgrade, we'd like a batch script for this.

* We'd like to be able to script some directory maintenance - specifically,
it must be possible to write something
that looks in a book file, identifies all the individual chapter files,
graphics etc that are used and then spits out a
list of all those chapter fragments, obsolete graphics, backup copies you
took 6 months ago "just in case", etc, so you
can them delete or move them.

All recommendations gratefully received - I'll post a summary if the
response warrents it.

Happy writing

Alison Wyld