Re: Staff retention: how to keep 'em down on the farm?

Subject: Re: Staff retention: how to keep 'em down on the farm?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:08:51 -0400

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

> My managers and my colleagues respect me both as a person and as a
> professional, and by and large go out of their way to get out of my way and
> let me do my work. They ask for and pay attention to my opinions on the work
> we're doing, and even when they disagree, they overrule my suggestions based
> on logic, not whim.

Your question could be reversed: What's the quickest way to get me circulating
my resume, trying to bail out of your organisation?

Top of the list is ignoring or pooh-poohing my input. If I find the software
hard to use and document, either change the software or give me a good
explanation of why it has to work that way. Don't be surprised if I argue
with the explanation.

Specs are a tricky area too. Not following them during development is usually
a bad sign, but so is being unwilling to change them when necessary. I've seen
projects go down the tubes both ways.

Remember the notion that the most important thing you learn in high school is
to develop a good 'crap detector', knowing BS when you smell it? Methinks any
experienced tech writer, especially in software, has well-honed instincts for
recognising problem projects. Most of us have read 'The Mythical Man-Month'
and hate working for managers who apparently haven't.