RE: Search Engines and PDF Files

Subject: RE: Search Engines and PDF Files
From: "Keith Soltys" <ksoltys -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Max Wyss" <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:20:35 -0400

> [mailto:bounce-techwr-l-9798 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com]On Behalf Of Max Wyss
> Subject: Re: Search Engines and PDF Files

> Becky,
>..snip..
>
> In the webserver environment, on the other hand, you will need an
> indexer and search engine which does support PDF. There are a few
> around, from very expensive, but powerful (such as the Verity search
> engine ... which is also used by Acrobat Catalog, BTW), to open
> source, and still useful. If you have a MessyNT server, Adobe
> provides even a free add-on for IIS 4 which provides this capability.
> You may find an overview over search engines which handle PDF on
> PlanetPDF (http://www.planetpdf.com). Note that the search engine is
> _server_ based. This will affect your choice.
>
> Hope, this can help.
>

> Max Wyss

If you are running on a UNIX-based web server, there is a freeware search
tool called HTDIG that will index PDF files, as well as HTML and text files.
I'm using it on our intranet site a work. It requires a bit of technical
skill to set up (it has to be compiled before you can use it) and you have
to edit the templates for the search pages, but this is pretty much standard
for any search tool. It's actually easier to set up than the search tool
that comes with IIS.

You can check it out at http://www.htdig.org.

Regards
Keith