RE: Trademarks and nouns - how often?

Subject: RE: Trademarks and nouns - how often?
From: Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:20:06 -0700

I wish that I were old enough to have been around when Xerox and Kleenex
were introduced. Unfortunately, I can't comment or note on how quickly or
easily each of these came into generic usage.
However, at a company that I used to work, many of their products were the
"industry standard" for what they did (in the medical instrument world). The
company was terrified of having their terms become generic. It was a fine
line that they walked between getting people to use the name (and know and
recognize it immediately) and not getting them to use it generically. It was
important to use the generic term after the trademark in documentation.
Depending on what you do and what industry you are in and the current status
of that world, it may make sense to be a bit more paranoid about your
trademarks and how you use them.

Christi Carew
ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com

RangeStar Wireless
www.rangestar.com

All communication contained in this e-mail is entirely my own and is not
necessarily endorsed by my co-workers or employer.