Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Sharon Burton-Hardin <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:44:13 -0700 (PDT)

Wanna talk about hijacking and redirects? I noticed this when I had
my tech writing web site up. Porno companies are buying url's that
aren't renewed. Since most sites are linked to another site somewhere
and they links aren't maintained that well, all you do is change the
IP address and it goes somewhere else.

I had a set of links to javascript sites and one of them (that I know
of) was changed to point to a porno site.

The reason I say this is that if you have a web site with many links,
it isn't enough anymore to have an automated program verify that
there is an answer on the other end. There may be, but now it points
to an unexpected address.

--- Sharon Burton-Hardin <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> When these first scripts started appearing, a friend of my brother
> reported
> them to MacAffee as a virus or trojan. I think it is. I hate few
> things as
> much as I hate the redirects and the script that open new instances
> of my
> brower. A very nasty thing to do to your users.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com