Re: Quick Comparison of Ventura & Framemaker

Subject: Re: Quick Comparison of Ventura & Framemaker
From: Rick Kirkham <rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:01:09 -0700

Your comparison of Ventura and Framemaker is inaccurate in at least some
ways. Below I've deleted from your list the items whose accuracy I don't
know. The ones that remain are those I know are wrong. Framemaker DOES have
the feature your table says it does not have. (And its had it going back
several versions.)

Subject: Quick Comparison of Ventura & Framemaker
From: priest -at- sfu -dot- ca
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:15:23

I'm appalled by the misinformation that's been published in this list. I
hope the following corrects it. It is sourced from
http://www.coreluser.com/html/vent_table.html

VENTURA 8 FRAMEMAKER 5.5

Fills (solid, patterns and... gradients,PS, none
bitmap, vector,
fractal generated

TEXT EDITING/FORMATTING:
Justification (l/r/c/full plus.. decimal, final none
line control
Copy attrs between paras through tags through clipboard
["THROUGH TAGS" APPLIES TO FRAMEMAKER TOO.]

Rotate paragraphs yes no

TYPOGRAPHIC CONTROL:
Text fills fills as above solid only

GRAPHIC HANDLING:
Adjust image resolution indiv. yes no
Lock objects yes no
Attach graphics above/below text through anchored yes
frame?

TABLES:
Fill as above limited

UI:
Zoom 2-1250% 25-400%
[I'VE ZOOMED TO 1600% A FEW TIMES IN FRAMEMAKER.]

Library (exchange styles, gfx yes no
between docs)

Hint: Windows has very poor memory management, and Ventura is sensitive to
it. You may need to tweak your system to get it to be stable. The
newsgroup will help. You also need good video drivers and plenty of
memory. Recent patches (the demos seem to have them already applied) have
greatly reduced the problems mentioned in reviews.

[THIS ALL SOUNDS PRETTY OMINOUS. BY THE WAY, WINDOW HASN'T HAD "POOR" MEMORY
MANAGEMENT SINCE WINDOWS 3.1.]

Ignore the crashprone commentary; the service packs fix many of the
problems, and patching windows helps a lot, too.

[ANOTHER CONFIDENCE BUILDER!]