Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users

Subject: Re: Taking advantage of "reflexive" responses in users
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:18:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hey, Geoff...trickly little devels, those web marketers. Another
concept that I've been noticing is that sometimes it appears that
there must be some type of built-in delay between the banner
appearing and the remainder of the page...maybe about 3-4 seconds.
So, while you are waiting for the page, all you have to stare at is
the adv banner. Probably a java script element.

Between these two issues, I'm sure there is a way in incorporate this
into online documentation...maybe have a customer satisfaction pol
window pop up the first time you are accessing the application help
(kinda the way some applications have a registration window pop open
at the end of the installation.

> While waiting for a Web search to complete and for the results page
> finish displaying, a banner ad popped up--only I didn't realize it
> was an
> ad, because it resembled the sort of Windows dialog box you often
> see when a
> page tells Internet Explorer to open a second browser window (e.g.,
> popup). The contents of the faux-window didn't interest me, so I

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com