RE: FrameMaker releases (was FrameMaker vs Ventura) and PDF Mark

Subject: RE: FrameMaker releases (was FrameMaker vs Ventura) and PDF Mark
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:06:07 -0700

-----Original Message-----
Sean Brierley wrote:
>WWP SE is not a dud, it's an export filter for HTML and XML. If you need to
>create online help, then WWP SE is the wrong tool.

Dan Emory responses:
>WWP SE comes with a couple of built-in templates. If, as is likely,
>those templates don't fit your needs, WWP SE is worthless.
>You must buy WWP Pro to produce customized templates.
>Admittedly, one WWP PRO license could be used to create
>custom templates that are then available to users who have
>WWP SE, but that's not an ideal solution.

WW SE is simply a marketing ploy. All it is is a demo version of the product
and $300.00 off coupon. It is worthless even you need one of it's output
formats. You can't change the templates and it's got their company logo and
name all over the templates, rendering them useless. It's like getting a
version of FrameMaker that prints "FrameMaker Demo" across every page as a
watermark.

Don't get me wrong, I like WW Pro and think it's a great product. We are
using it. But I was pretty pissed off when I found that after creating
templates in WW Pro, that they couldn't be used in WW SE. I was led to
believe that this would work, but then found out that WW SE doesn't support
any Help formats.

Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group
Yardi Systems, Inc.