Re: Acrobat Reader and "post-it" notes

Subject: Re: Acrobat Reader and "post-it" notes
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 23:16:40 +0200

Gilda,

No.

That was the short answer. A bit more verbose: When you create annotations (in fact, there are quite a few different styles available, which make Acrobat to an excellent collaboration tool), you will have to save the document in order to keep the annotations. Now, Reader can read PDF documents. If it could save documents, it would be called Saver, wouldn't it?

In order to be able to modify and save a PDF document, you will in any case need a full version of the Viewer component of Acrobat. This can be either the full version (something around USD 220), or the Acrobat Business Tools (single licences for USD 79; volume licences are available at good prices).

So, what you have to do, is to provide at least the Business Tools to your system administrators. Well, it might be even better, you provide the Business Tools to everyone in your organization; you can set up pretty elegant workflows, and when eventually digital signatures become an issue, you will need it anyway.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

We use Acrobat to create all our manuals in pdf format. For most of the
books, we want users to be able to read and print, but not to make any
changes. But for one book, we want the System Administrator to be able to
make annotations and then send the annotated version to other users.

I know there's an annotation feature in Acrobat. You can use it, for
example, to add a notation that looks like an electronic post-it note. I
can see how to do this in regular Acrobat, but not in Acrobat Reader. But
our System Administrators have only Acrobat Reader, but not regular
Acrobat. Is there some way to add annotations in Acrobat Reader?