Re: seeking editing feedback

Subject: Re: seeking editing feedback
From: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:38:54 -0400

Dick Margulis wrote:

> My point is that you don't need no stinkin' questionnaire. You should be
able to
> evaluate your own style honestly and understand what situations and what
kinds of
> writers (in terms of personality) it works well in. And you should be able
> perceive where a different style might work better.

There may be better ways than a questionnaire, but the method is not the
issue here.

Expecting any given person "should be able" to objectively evaluate their
personal style and its effect on other people is unrealistic. Some people
are blessed with personal insight, but many perhaps most are not. In either
case no matter how objective someone thinks they are I'll wager their
objectivity has one or more significant blind spots. In my experience, most
folks who claim such insight and self-knowledge are simply tired of hearing
the feedback on things about themselves which they don't want to change.

fwiw,
Steve MacDonald
Aspect Communications, Inc.