screen captures in .chm files

Subject: screen captures in .chm files
From: "Crockett, Walter" <Walter_Crockett -at- bmc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:00:06 -0500

I was recently advised that graphics are unpredictable in HTML Help .chm
files and should be kept to a minimum, and that Microsoft, in fact, warns
against them. This does not agree with my experience, but my experience is
limited. Assuming that you capture at the correct DPI and don't mess with
the size afterwards, that you don't bury them too deep in the file structure
or give them long file names, and that you use only GIFs or JPEGs, is there
any reason not to include the following types of screen captures in a .chm
file for a non-intuitive software product:
* important GUI buttons with no names
* those rare occasions when a picture is worth a thousand words and the user
is unlikely to be able to follow the written instructions but will grasp the
concept immediately with a picture

thanks,
Walter Crockett