OT? Printing a Book

Subject: OT? Printing a Book
From: Carol Anne Wall <mmpc0014 -at- pclink -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:42:58 -0500

I've volunteered to write a 25 year history of the adoption agency we used
recently to adopt our daughter. I've met with the agency director and we
have set a scope, format (softcover), rough timeline, and have an outline.
Now I need to find out what it will cost to get the book printed. I've
never done this before (my employer doesn't publish its documentation), and
neither has the director.

I will be contacting the writer who wrote a history of a local church to
pick her brain. After talking to her, I plan to call her publisher plus
any other local print houses I can find listed in the miriad of church
cookbooks I find sitting on our kitchen shelf. (my husband: cook,
cookbook collector)

Has anyone out there done this before? Any tips, tricks, pitfalls to
avoid? Will I most likely need to write or transfer the project into Frame
or Pagemaker (the agency has a copy of Pagemaker)? Or will Word alone work?

Thank you ever so much for your advice!

Carol Anne
Carol Anne Wall, FLMI, CTM
Technical Writer, Minnesota Life Ins. Co. - Individual Business Technology
St. Paul, MN USA
mmpc0014 -at- pclink -dot- com