Re: Does Frame Suck? From a new user

Subject: Re: Does Frame Suck? From a new user
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:55:02 -0700

Barbara Jeffries [SMTP:iluvsoftware -at- yahoo -dot- com] wrote:

>I have to tell you - this has got to be one of the
>strangest software packages I have ever seen. Of
>course, it could just be that I don't know some trick,
>or haven't gotten it all down yet.

The biggest difference may be a change of philosophy. FrameMaker
has a very hands-on, do-it-yourself approach. This approach gives
you a lot of power and precision, but it takes some getting used
to, and a little bit of setting up. For example, it doesn't have

the preset tables that MS Word has, but it can do far more with
table styles than MS Word. Similarly, in exchange for a fussier
style of inserting graphics, you can position them far more
easily. I suppose you could say that you get more flexibility at
the cost of some convenience. Personally, I prefer the
flexibility, but I'm sure that others prefer the convenience.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Better a good run than a bad stand." -James Keelaghan