Outrageous: Was Pray for me

Subject: Outrageous: Was Pray for me
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Sigrid Schoepel" <sschoepe -at- adacgeo -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:27:46 -0500

Excuse me, but I have to point something out here...this post, as well as
several others, have purported to rescue the original poster from a jam. But
nobody so far has noted that the product in question is a medical one,
requiring FDA approval. Under these conditions why on earth should the
writer in question even be considering doing these kludgy workarounds? This
isn't an obscure accounting package; it's intended for saving life and/or
limb. Why is this being allowed to take place? Are we not countenancing this
by offering these pathetic rescue tidbits?

If the manual is as scatter-brained as indicated in the exchange of posts,
using it for single source is, at best, an attempt to make management feel
like it's accomplishing something, when in fact it's being given what will
undoubtedly be of little value, and could actively hurt someone. The fact
that the text is supposedly the same as the original is of little comfort.
Text requires context for complete communication, and hypertext destroys
print contexts. No amount of frantic tagging will substitute for proper
context. Such a rag-tag effort may be excusable in a product less vital, but
in a medical device? Something strikes me as fundamentally wrong here. The
fact that Sigrid mentions having an almost identical situation is extremely
disturbing to me.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com