Re: This list mirrors real life

Subject: Re: This list mirrors real life
From: "Lois Patterson" <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:16:10 -0700

I agree in part, and I solve most issues I have by use of the search engine.
On the other hand, one useful aspect of a list like this is that various
questions brings up numerous topics that I wouldn't otherwise consider. If

everyone just finds their answers by doing a search, these questions will
never be brought forward, and we'll all miss the chance to consider subjects
outside our immediate workday requirements.

Another issue is that while search engines can be extremely helpful,
sometimes one doesn't know enough about the subject to know what one
*doesn't* know, or doesn't know enough to be able to ask what one needs to
know. Asking a general question can be very useful this way.

I read the list most often as a USENET group (bit.listserv.techwr-l), and
thus it is very easy to ignore subjects that are of no interest or relevance
at all.

Lois Patterson