Re: This list mirrors real life

Subject: Re: This list mirrors real life
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:39:43 -0700 (PDT)

Exactly.

Someone sends out a message that they are looking for samples of
Requirements Documents (or API document, etc.). It takes 10 minutes
for the post to make the list, and a day or two before enought people
respond with lists of resources to make the answers worth while.

Instead, in 10 minutes, if the person had spent that time with their
favorite search engine (google and dirtpile are two excellent ones
that I use), they'd have the answer and be on their way.

It's kinda like a person asking about widely used style guides while
their MS Style Guide is being used to lift their monitor to a better
position.

While you are reading the list, you probably have your browser open,
why not give the Search button a shot?

> >Ridiculous.
> >
> >The reason this list is so valuable is because of the different
> >points of view that come in with answers, which all help one to
> >think better and consider things that had never occured to one
> before.

There's difference between a pont of view on let's say, how to
approach a situation where years of experience come into play, and
the many requests that we get phrased similar to "I've been asked to
create a Requirements documemnt. Anyone have any examples of a Req
Doc that they can forward to me?"

> "different points of view" that the Techwr-l list offers. I think
> John's
> original point (and he can jump in to correct me if not) in posting
> the
> article is that we waste time answering, over and over again, the
> answers
> that are easily available. That takes away from time discussing the
> questions in tech. writing that are open to opinion.
>
> In other words, if the lazy people would get off their duffs,
> they'd stop
> interrupting us while we contemplate our craft.

I think that some people believe that we know of the "best
Requirements document in the world", or the "best API document in the
world" when most of us are trying to keep up with what's going on
around us like they are...we have the same questions, we just know
where to get the answer (and use it) without making 20 other people
do the work for them.

What would you rather answer:

1) Where do I find sample of Req documents.

or

2) I did a search for "Req Documents" and I came across the following
five links that I think are best:
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
I personaly think that link #2 has the one most appropriate for the
Pharm field. Does anyone agree with me or have a better suggestion?

At least show me that you've thought about the question and are
willing to put in the same amount of work that I am (considering it's
your butt on the line.)

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/