RE: Salary?

Subject: RE: Salary?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- teleport -dot- com>
To: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Beth Friedman wrote:

> The 1999 STC salary survey
> gives the median
> salary in my area of the country at $46,000 for technical
> writers [...]
>
> This looks low to me, based on the hourly rate I was getting
> when I was
> contracting full-time as a technical writer

A pretty widely accepted formula is to take your hourly rate as a
contractor and multiply it by 1000 to calculate the comparable annual
salary for a staff job.

Using that formula, and your statement that you most recently charged $40
an hour and would be inclined to ask closer to $50 an hour now, I'd say
$46,000 was a pretty reasonable offer.

Region, experience, and other factors may skew the formula a bit one way
or another, but I still think it gives a valid estimate.

Good luck!

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites, intranets, help systems,
and other HTML documents.

Includes support for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexing, too!