RE: Salary?

Subject: RE: Salary?
From: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>
To: 'Beth Friedman' <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:13:13 -0700

Beth Friedman [mailto:bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com] asks

> The 1999 STC salary survey
> gives the median
> salary in my area of the country at $46,000 for technical
> writers [...]
>
> This looks low to me, based on the hourly rate I was getting
> when I was
> contracting full-time as a technical writer

When comparing the figures, are you taking into account the
burdened operating costs an employer pays for an employee? Things like
taxes, social secutiry, state disability, office space and
equipment costs, etc.?

An employee costs more than his/her salary. Comapring an hourly
contracting rate against an hourly employee/staff rate will always appear
unequal.

steve arrants

Stephen Arrants
Manager of Technical Communications