Re: naming conventions for images

Subject: Re: naming conventions for images
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- highsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:18:15 -0700

I can see there's been a lot of response on this, but I don't think I'm repeating.

Most of the issues seem to relate to platform-specific file name conventions, but in regard to the ISO 9660 CD-ROM "hybrid format" that is readable on Macintosh, MS-Windows, and unix machines, 8.3 UPPERCASE is an issue of distribution.

HOWEVER, I think (and maybe someone can verify this from experience), that you can distribute a file archive that's ISO 9660-named within which are files that use long names, mixed case, and employ other OS-compliant naming features. I think that so long as the archive is copied to a local system before the contents are extracted with a platform-specific extraction method, such as unZIP, UnStuffit, or tar, useful file names needn't be transmogrified into inscrutably brief ones.

At 03:09 PM 7/18/00 -0400, Dawson McKnight wrote:

One more comment about whether to use 8.3 file names for graphics. A developer on my team finally chimed in. Here's what he says:

"Most Unix systems can only read ISO9660 filesystems on CD. This filesystem only allows 8.3 filenames."

So, in sum (at least according to my sources), 8.3 is a Unix CD limitation.
Otherwise, you don't need to abide by it. Macs are another story all together, I suppose, and I have no answer as far as they are concerned.

Regards,

Peter
Peter Gold HighSoft, Inc. Adobe Products Applications Engineer, Training, Support
email: (tech support) swsupport -at- highsoft -dot- com (personal) peter -at- highsoft -dot- com
voice: (toll-free) 800.795.6066 (SF Bay Area local) 650.691.0701
tech support extension: 266 personal extension: 333 fax: 650.691.0701
"Write once. Publish Everywhere" http://www.highsoft.com