RE: Screen Capture Question

Subject: RE: Screen Capture Question
From: "Sherman, Bryan" <BSherman -at- synchrony -dot- net>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:31:23 -0400

1) If Paint will yield good results with such a thing,
> wih most software (I can't test it yet - I am not into
> their software yet) ?
>
> 2) If not, is there any such thing as software to do
> such a thing (screen capture)? Does it work as a
> companion with software?

------------
I just went down this path, and would suggest SnagIt (www.snagit.com). It is
Sharware and costs 39.95 to register. Download and try it out.

When we got to the purchase point, our accounting asked for a justification,
and I have pasted that to the end of the message.

The PrtScrn, Paint option works fine, but watch what color depth you use, if
you are using 24-bit color, the files can be huge. SnagIt autoconverts.

HTH
Bryan

+ Ability to set the destination for the screen cap. It can be set to save
directly to file, so that we don't have to paste it into another program,
then save it out.

+ Support for a number of file formats including BMP, GIF and JPEG without
the necessity of another program.

+ Ability to capture scrolling windows. PrtScn makes a snapshot, with snagit
I can capture the entire frame, even if I need to scroll to see it all.

+ Image Processing. SnagIt can automatically convert the screen cap to
another color depth (for example 8-bit color or monochrome). This is a
requirement when adding a lot of screen caps into a document. For example,
if you are taking a full screen capture of the Synchrony Desktop:
- Raw PrtScn saved as BMP: 2,326 KB
- SnagIt convert to 8-Bit BMP: 777 KB (1/3 of size)
- Snagit to 8 bit GIF: 103 KB
These conversion can be done in an editor like Photoshop, but is
time-intensive, and from experience yield inconsistent results.

+ On the Fly Cropping. SnagIt allows you to crop the part of the image you
want while you capture this.

+ Other helpful features like the ability to capture the mouse pointer
(can't do with PrtScn) and smooth scaling on resizes.