RE: Converting Frame Docs to Word

Subject: RE: Converting Frame Docs to Word
From: jwaddell <jwaddell -at- micron -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:21:06 -0600

-----Original Message-----
Are there any known common glitches converting Frame
docs to Word? These would be rather simple docs - not
chapters - 50 page docs - no T.O.C., etc.

-----My Answer -----------

I've converted a whole bunch of different file formats to Frame. The only
thing the converts directly to Frame is Frame.

Converting from Word always takes a bit a reformatting. You will always
have to touch up the file. The process can be minimized if your Word Docs
use styles. Once you convert the file you can globally replace the Word
style name with the corresponding Frame style name using the global update
feature in the paragraph designer, for example, "Heading 1" in Word will
become "Heading1" in Frame (Frame Template dependant).

If the Word doc you are converting doesn't use styles, use the AutoFormat
feature in Word to give all the paragraphs the Word style names. If the
document is consistent, this will make converting like styles to the
appropriate Frame paragraph tags go quickly.

Another technique I use for the conversion is to save the Frame template as
an RTF. I then use this RTF in Word to create a Word Template and apply it
to the document. This will import all of the same style names from Frame.
It is sometimes easier to see the document structure in Word before
converting it to Frame and losing some of the formatting. You can also use
the AutoFormat feature with the new dot file.