RE: Dynamic Data Leasing System Software - Need help

Subject: RE: Dynamic Data Leasing System Software - Need help
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: Tech Writers List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:58:59 -0500

No matter what HAT you select or what form you create (.hlp, .htm or
something else), the situation is always going to be that your going to
be in your help making changes. What you might consider are some
strategies for making changes to the software have less impact on your
.hlp. For example, I have a massive .hlp file that was the first one I
ever created at this company. There are ~19 main windows that are
accessed by clicking an icon across the top. I have .shg graphics of
each one and create pop up topics. Just recently, an icon changed. I had
to recapture each of the 19 main graphics, in addition to writing the
new help for the changed icon. If I could do it all over again, I'd
strip out my graphics and do something else but any change like that is
on the backburner for a while. So, maybe keeping graphics out of your
help would, I don't know, help your situation.

Outside of that, welcome to tech writing for software companies which
means always being in the help to update your information.

Paul

<snip>
> I'm beginning to think that RoboHELP is not the best idea for
> constantly changing helps. Does anyone out there have any experience
> in or idea how to create a help system that can be quickly updated?
> Joanne Jones
<snip>