Re: naming conventions for images

Subject: Re: naming conventions for images
From: Kimber Miller <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:51:12 -0500

Thank all of you respondents for the timely, interesting discussion.

My documentation is on line; I'm re-creating an Image Library for our
product--and want to re-think what I've done. The product *basically* stays the
same, but the business logic and UI get customized for each client.

Long names relieve the intuition problem, but present a mess in the Image
Library. The documents get produced anew for each of our clients. That means
that some parts are re-used (thank you, AuthorIT), and some parts are new. So I
already use subdirectories to organize the images that are specific to each
client.

I've previously named graphics with condensed names (like strtpg.gif), but this
gets messy enough when I'm trying to sort a library that's got 100 images.

Numbering schemes require that I remember a numbering scheme.

I believe I'm going to hybridize the approach of grouping by UI function (menu,
shortcut menu, window name) and a numbering scheme. I'm not going to worry
about very short file names, but I will be restrictive.

Thank you for taking time to help me think this through.

--Kimber