RE: naming conventions for images

Subject: RE: naming conventions for images
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>, kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com> wrote:
> However, in each
> folder all of the images
> were named "Image1.gif", "Image2.gif", etc. This, of
> course, proved rather
> impractical when looking for a specific image and
> required the use of image
> browsing software like ACDSee to locate a particular
> graphic.

Agreed. This naming convention isn't very friendly.

> We don't worry about length,

Disagree. The file names should be as short as
possible. If they're ever used on a Unix machine, for
example, they are limited to the 8.3 convention. Also,
if they ever go on line, spaces are not permitted
either.

The conventional way to name figures (and tables) is
numerically by chapter.

Table 1-1 is the first table in chapter 1.
Figure 99-44 is the 44th figure in chapter 99.

This naming convention makes it easy to ensure that
you're sending all the images to the printer (just a
quick count does the trick).

I usually name files using a short description.
"Queue.jpg." for example. Variations of this image are
"Queue1," "Queue2," et cetera. If the image is of
something like a hard drive, I shorten it to "hdrive."

Another possible naming convention is to use the page
number the image appears on (if it's known).

For example, 432_1.bmp is the first bitmap on page
432. You could also use 432top.bmp, 432toprt.bmp, and
432botrt.bmp.

If in doubt, though, stick with convention.

=====
Jeff Hanvey
Memphis, TN
www.geocities.com/jewahe