Read-only PDF files?

Subject: Read-only PDF files?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Pollich, Peter'" <peter -dot- pollich -at- supertracks -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:02:00 -0400

Peter Pollich <<...could have sworn it was possible to create read-only PDF
Docs from Word docs. Unfortunately, when I attempt to do so I can't find any
sort of option in Acrobat 4.05, nor mention of it in the Adobe
documentation. The Adobe website doesn't mention it either.>>

Odds are, you'll find what you're looking for under one of the following
index words: "password protection", "protection", or "permissions". Sorry;
don't have a copy of Exchange handy to check on this, but I know it's in
there somewhere; I saw the Adobe geek demo this feature in Acrobat 3, and
haven't heard any rumors that they deleted this feature. The only problem is
that unless you can also disable screenshots, it's pretty trivial to take a
screenshot of your Acrobat document, and run that through OCR. Plus, there
are a variety of password cracker utilities. So you can slow down the
copying, but not really stop it.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer