RE: Productivity Metrics

Subject: RE: Productivity Metrics
From: Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com
To: dempseys3 -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:36:44 -0400

Mark Dempsey wrote:

> In my experience, technical publications metrics are
> baloney, BTW...Better: usability testing/surveys of
> users (internal and external).

Very likely the technical publications metrics were either invalid or not
used to produce a benefit.

I quite agree, there is no reason you can't do usability testing/surveys.
Those can be used as metrics. For example, you develop a usability survey
that you do after every release with the intent of using the data to improve
the product's usability. You measure that by whether the survey's results
consistently improve over time.
It doesn't have to be rocket science.

Steve MacDonald
Aspect Communications, Inc.