Re: Productivity Metrics

Subject: Re: Productivity Metrics
From: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:07:14 -0700

At 03:06 PM 7/9/00 -0700, Andrew Plato wrote:

"Dan Emory" wrote in message

> I would add that it is quite unlikely that any kind of measurable
> productivity gain can be quantified in the dot.com economy. First, since
> the vast majority of web pages are nothing but hype and junk, their value
> is zero, thus the productivity of producing them is minus infinity.
> Secondly, the dot.com economy hasn't been around long enough to establish
> any kinds of benchmark productivity figures.

"Productivity" means many different things. You are right, Dan, it is very
difficult to measure the impact of new technologies and new methods because we
lack the history to look at as a judge. The writer of that article says exactly
that.
The issue the writer of the article was addressing is what the explanation is
for the large productivity gains that occurred in the 90's. Many think these
gains mainly occurred in the "new economy" and/or in improved computer
tools. This conclusion, the writer believes, is not borne out by the facts,
and thus there is a strong likelihood that the new economy bubble is going to burst
(or at least start to deflate), in which case the temp labor sector will be
impacted the most.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory -at- primenet -dot- com
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.