[Re: Microsoft Access Problems]

Subject: [Re: Microsoft Access Problems]
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:15:53 -0400

Joy Brady wrote:
> You need to approach this as a database problem, not
> an Access 2000 problem. For those of you not
> interested, I warn you: the following is a super-quick
> overview of how to normalize information and create a
> quicky "relational" database using Jazzmyne's case.

> I'll guess that your table is something like this
> right now. Let's call it "Employees":
> UniqueID Fname LName Title Projects
> jbra1 Joy Brady Advice-Giver (empty)
> jsmi1 Jim Smiley Receptionist CCC
> jsmi2 Joe Smith Committee Guy CCC,PDC,PCCC
>
> If you have, or can have, multiple entries in a given
> field (such as Projects, in your case), it is good to
> break that field out into two separate tables. One to
> describe the projects themselves. One to link the
> projects to the people. Here's a lookup, or
> descriptive table - "Projects":
> ProjAbbr ProjectName
> CCC Committee-Creation Committee
> PDC Process-Definition Committee
> PCCC Process-Committee Creation

Joy,
You have provided one of the most concise and clearest examples of
relationship database theory that I have seen in a long time.

Now only if you could explain cubed database theory.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-