Re: SMEs

Subject: Re: SMEs
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 06:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Sierra Godfrey <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com> wrote:

> Luckily, I had an interview with my boss about this yesterday. He is a
> really great boss. He stood by me and agreed this SME was a jerk. I have
> support there, but I think the best thing to do for me is to make sure
> everyone knows why the release was held up, and also institute a better plan.
> This cannot be a black and white thing, because you almost have to tailor the
> plan according to the SME. If it's a good SME who gets reviews in on time,
> then less strict of a review plan can be used. But with this guy, clearly I
> have to use all sorts of methods, like freeze dates.

Good point here, Sierra. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter whether an
SME is difficult or how many of them we have to deal with. In the final
analysis, we have to be able to work with all kinds of SMEs, and we have to get
results doing it.

It doesn't do you a lot of good to think of certain SMEs as jerks; you still
have to work with them. "Instituting a better plan" is a great attitude to take
forward with you.

Besides, as this list proves from time to time, there ARE Tech Writers who are
jerks, too. (There, I've said it, the unsayable thing.)

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems