RE: HTML Help help, please?

Subject: RE: HTML Help help, please?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:04:55 -0600

Hi, Becca.

Winhlp-L would still be the best place for that kind of guidance, but let me
see if I can help you with these questions. If I get any of them wrong, I'm
sure someone will volunteer to correct me. :-)

> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2
> Final//EN">

This is a document type declaration. It indicates where the document type
definition (DTD) for this HTML file can be found. It's really not necessary
for HTML, but is for XML or SGML.

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html;
> charset=Windows-1252">

This is a meta tag describing the content type and character set-also
optional for HTML

> <OBJECT TYPE="application/x-oleobject"
> CLASSID="clsid:1e2a7bd0-dab9-11d0-b93a-00c04fc99f9e">
> <PARAM NAME="Keyword" VALUE="Tile Vertical command
> (Window menu)">
> </OBJECT>

This is an Active-X object, in this case a K keyword or index term. Although
OBJECT is a standard HTML tag, the object type is what defines what it
actually is.

> <A NAME="hlp_window_tilevert"></A>

This is a an anchor tag with a NAME attribute. It's used to location the end
of a link from an an anchor tag with an HREF attrribute.

> sometimes the <A NAME= tags are encolsed in
> <SUP></SUP> tags.

Superscript tag. This is inline formatting often used for footnotes or
trademark information. Why it would be around an anchor tag is anybody's
guess.

Hope this helps.

Bill Burns
Lionbridge Design & Development