Re: Purpose Statement for Style Guide

Subject: Re: Purpose Statement for Style Guide
From: bdoonan -at- coreco -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:28:00 -0400

Our new management thinks that our Style Guide is a luxury and a waste of
time. Can you provide me with some well-thought-out arguments as to why a
tech. pubs. team would "need" to have one?

How about:

When there is no consensus or outright disagreement between
people/departments on documentation
issues, and you're in the eleventh hour of releasing the manuals for
publication, a style guide can act as
an arbitrator between disputants that can make a speedy ruling based on
previously accepted rules. Or
would you rather be in a courtroom full of lawyers but no judge or jury?

Brian Doonan