Converting large volume of Word documents to HTML

Subject: Converting large volume of Word documents to HTML
From: "Chris Knight" <cknight -at- attcanada -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 20:37:48 -0700

Fred Ridder <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com> wrote:
> Well, six months or so ago, the answer would have been clear: use HTML
> Transit from Infoaccess... to convert Word files to HTML.

I would agree...an excellent product.

> Since most of our company's technical publications were written using
> the same Word template, HTML Transit has worked very well for us.

Results do vary with the design and implementation of the Word template.
Also, Transit does a good job of converting FrameMaker files to HTML.
I recently had the opportunity to test this, and the results were
semi-impressive.
More time spent would have improved the conversion.

> Unfortunately, at this time the answer is not so clear because as of Jan
1
> Infoaccess increased their prices by a factor of 10x. Seriously! The
price
> of HTML Transit went from $500 to $5000. Their stated reason was that
> IT professionals weren't taking their products seriously because they
were
> priced too low, so they were increasing their prices to make them more
> credible as corporate solutions.

Wow! They might be right, but I had to move mountains to get it purchased
at $500. I take THAT very seriously.

Christopher Knight, Technical Communicator
E-mail: cknight -at- attcanada -dot- ca
Phone: (604) 877-0074