Re: New XML mailing list

From: Michael Smith <smith -at- io -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:27:16 -0500

On Friday, June 30, 2000, Barry House wrote:

> Can you recommend any resources that clearly explain XML for
> those of us who could grasp and even use HTML but are still a
> little muddled on the larger concept of SGML?

I can certainly point you toward a couple of resources I know
about myself, but I think if you go ahead and post your question
to XML-DOC, you'll probably get a better range of recommendations
than I can provide on my own.

First, I recommend checking the XML-DOC links page:

http://www.egroups.com/links/xml-doc/

Some of the links you'll find in the "Training and Tutorials"
folder there include:

* A short list of quality online tutorials (IBM site)
http://www2.software.ibm.com/developer/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle

* An intro to XML for Web developers (Selena Sol)
http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/Tutorials/Intro/

As far as books go, I've found that they're much more a matter of
taste. There are two listed in the "Books on XML" folder of the
XML-DOC links page:

* XML by Example, by Benoit Marchal
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789722429/xmldocmailinli06

* XML Pocket Reference, published by O'Reilly
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565927095/xmldocmailinli06

But those are currently the only ones there because they're the
ones I've seen that I personally like and use the most and feel
comfortable recommending; as other folks post information about their
favorites, I'll add them to the list of links.

Hope that helps,

Mike Smith

--
Michael Smith ... xml-doc-owner -at- egroups -dot- com
Moderator