re: Lotus Screen cam

Subject: re: Lotus Screen cam
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:38:19 -0700 (PDT)

About using Macromedia Director for show-me demos, John Prince said:

> Much, much, much more difficult. No comparison. In fact they aren't even the
> same type of software. Unless you've had experience with some computer
> programming, be prepared for a learning curve with Director. In fact, it uses
> it's only language called Lingo which is kind of a sprite-oriented language.
> While you can do some basic things in Director without programming, it would
> be a waste to buy it just for that.

I must disagree. I'm using Macromedia Director to create show-me demos for our
application, and I use all of two lines of Lingo script. One says to stay on
the current frame until the user clicks (to let them read text at their own
pace), and one says to go back to the beginning when the user clicks (for the
last frame of the demo).

Director allows you to produce higher-quality demos than Lotus Screencam can,
because you can control the speed at which the cursor moves, and make it move
in a straight line. You can easily edit out the "oopses" that you create when
capturing the .AVI. You can add text and have the demo pause while the user
reads it (in Screencam, you have to guess how long the reader needs to finish
the text). You can give the user the option to rewind to an earlier point in
the demo (with a Back button). I could go on....

If you'd like to see one of these demos, please let me know.

-David Castro
thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com

http://mail.yahoo.com/