RE: National Writer's Union (way too long)

Subject: RE: National Writer's Union (way too long)
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:48:08 -0600

Bruce is absolutely on target.

Microsoft is currently lobbying heavily to change washington law to ensure
their ability to abuse hourly-wage employees (I heard somewhere that MS is
Seattle's largest employer of hourly employees--and that they hire
contractors as hourly employees). NWU has helped defeat a similar law in
California. It is awfully hard to fight Microsoft without an organization
behind you. Unions arose around this issue. Anti-trust law arose around
this issue as well (and look how well the govt is doing). Large
corporations are by and large predatory. Fighting them is tough.

I suppose one alternative for everyone is to move out of Washington and let
Microsoft starve :-).
Of course, they would also have to move out of silicon valley, Denver,
Boston, etc.
This of course, would bring the entire software industry to its knees...
and of course would take massive organization... perhaps a union???? :-)

just sounding off
walden