Style Guide Help

Subject: Style Guide Help
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:35:05 -0700

chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu> wrote:

>Is there a particular format that works best for a
>departmental guide?
>How do I determine what should be standard vs. personal
>preference?

If you actually want the style guide to be used, then keep it as
brief as possible and deal mainly with usages common to the
company and the industry. Otherwise, you can spend months
crafting a complete style guide, but you'll find that nobody will
use it, either for writing or for reviewing.

A useful style guide also needs to be thoroughly indexed. If
people can't find what they need to know, they won't bother using
the guide.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux