Re: Linux

Subject: Re: Linux
From: Michele Davis <mdavis -at- bitstream -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:36:02 -0500

Since I started this discussion, I will now, finally, add my commentary. I found
it humorous that people told me to listen to Linus, obviously, if I work in the
UNIX environment, I've heard HOW he pronounces Linux and its been irrelevant.
Ironically the reason I asked the list was because my husband, who is a die-hard
Linux person, and UNIX developer who despises MS, said, "Ask the tech-whirler
list, see what they say!" So I did.

I received plenty of answers, but not until Bruce have I realized what impact
Linux really has. I personally pronounce it Lie-nux, but my client, a big-player
in the Linux training industry, pronounces it Lee-nox. Now, all that aside,
Bruce's post was interesting, because he is right. He, along with the other
people who said this earlier, are right in that if you are not secure in your
knowledge of Linux, and UNIX in general, you better be pronouncing the word the
way your client does, otherwise, you may not get the job.

My client, in the interview process, probably asked me MORE questions about Linux

because of my pronunciation, but I could confidently answer any question they
threw my way because I had enough background.

Personally I think it should be UNIX-L. LOL!

--
Michele

just another stop on the web: http://www2.bitstream.net/~mdavis