Re: Linux

Subject: Re: Linux
From: M Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:12:27 -0700

Most UNIX hipsters I've met say LINN-ucks, but I always try to say LINE-ucks, for the following reasons:

- I don't like saying LINN-ucks.

- Linus Torvalds, with his Scandinavian accent, pronounces it something like LEEN-ucks. He also pronounces his own name as LEEN-us. In English, I have always heard Linus as LINE-us, therefore in English Linux is LINE-ux.

- And finally, saying LINE-ux is somehow my revenge against the gods for inflicting the word "functionality" upon us.

- M Giffin