RE: 825 and 925

Subject: RE: 825 and 925
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:31:33 +0100

>My company also allows us "flex hours." I currently work 7:30-4:30 with 1
>hour for lunch (unpaid).On occasion I can expand or reduce my lunch hour as
>necessary. I work 40 hours per week (minimum) but I sure like the sound of
>35 or even 37.5!

Well, yeah: except (like anywhere else, I suspect) it doesn't always work
like that. If the work's there to be done, you get it done. If that means
coming in at 8am and not leaving till 10pm, as has happened to me once or
twice this past year, that doesn't mean you get PAID for doing more than
37.5 hours a week... it just earns you brownie points for getting the job
done on time.

But if it doesn't even earn brownie points: forget it. At my last job I
stayed till 8pm one night, getting a manual done that had to be handed in at
9am the next morning. Got it done, handed it over, and my team leader didn't
even bother saying "Thank you." So I poisoned her coffee. Then I left. (I'm
joking, of course. I didn't poison her coffee.)

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.