RE: Template Question

Subject: RE: Template Question
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 06:55:46 -0700

Kelly wrote:

> You didn't specify the software you're using. If it's
> Word, you open the document in which you want the
> changes to occur. (We'll call it New.doc.) Select
> Format --> Style and click on "organizer." From the
> Organizer menu you'll "close file" in the window on
> the right (it's generally Normal.dot) and then "open"
> the file that has the desired styles. You can then
> copy some or all of the styles to New.doc.

This works if you want to copy styles, but you have to do it manually every
time. The faster way, if you want to update all styles, is to reattach the
template that's been updated. To do that, go to Tools --> Templates and
Add-ins, and remove the template listed in the Document Template box. Then
select the Automatically update styles check box, and click Attach,
attaching your template.

This will update your styles to match what's currently in the template. I
haven't worked with this enough to know whether later changes to the
template will automatically update documents based on it or not, though I
doubt it works correctly if so... and I don't think this will update any new
text, graphics, or table changes...

> --- Queen <queen-1 -at- iname -dot- com> wrote:
> > how do I set up
> > the template so that when I
> > make changes to the template, I can open up the
> > documents (that were created
> > based on that template) and have them pick up the
> > styles, graphics or table
> > changes that were made to the template.

Good luck!
John Locke