RE: Printers

Subject: RE: Printers
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, <winday -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:53:27 -0400

From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>

>Yabbut...

>Sorry, I don't get it. If I have to use the specific printer driver for
>the files going to the service bureau, how can I get away with using the
>generic driver for every other purpose?
>
>Or to look at it the other way around, if the service bureau can't use the
>files I created with the generic printer driver, how can EVERYONE else?

Win,

The service bureau is sending PostScript to a filmsetter, a high-resolution device that is going to produce color-separated negatives of type, line art, and halftone art. This is not only a different species from the office laser printer or ink jet printer, it is a whole diff'rent genus.

If you don't prepare the PDF properly, it will not contain all of the information that the filmsetter needs in order to produce the high-quality output you want. "EVERYONE else" is using some sort of low-resolution composite-color device, such as a monitor or a laser printer or an ink jet printer. Their needs are less fussy.

Dick