Re: User Names + Joe Bloggs

Subject: Re: User Names + Joe Bloggs
From: kerstin -dot- molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:55:21 +0200

Hello Eadaoin!

>Are there any papers or guideline for the use of names in User Manuals -
>I know the John Doe and Joe Bloggs are busy men? But are there any
>guidelines - I don't want to alienate any culture/user/sex etc.?

In the instructions to authors of astrophysical papers (199x), I have seen
names like Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei,
Julius Caesar, Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh and others. Even though I
wished they had included, say, Marie Curie, I smiled each time I read these
names.

(Some colleagues included 'Arthur Dent' in the author list of their actual
papers. I have sometimes wondered why no referee ever said a word about
that... ;-) )

At the company I work for now, we use names of colleagues as well as our
own.

Ciao,
Kerstin