Re: initial caps in steps and bulleted lists

Subject: Re: initial caps in steps and bulleted lists
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, llittle -at- idirect -dot- com ("Laurie Little") writes:

>The writer uses a partial sentence to introduce a list, then treats each
>bullet/step as a continuance of this sentence; i.e. each starts with
>lowercase.
>Example:
>
>To do ...., you should:
>* do this
>* do that
>* do the other thing
>
>Fine and dandy, but what about when the bullet/step is long and involves
>another sentence? Example:
>
>To do ..., you should:
>* do this, then do that. If you do the other thing, ...
>* seek counsel. Otherwise, ...
>* ask for help on techwr-l. You'll find the answers there. But be sure to
>check the archives first!
>
>Shouldn't the bullet/step then be treated as any other paragraph, and start
>with uppercase?

At Sun, we finally decided that readers don't really
read the bulleted items separately as continuations of
the introductory clause, so we use initial caps for
all bulleted list items.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html