RE: Screening Questions for Tech Writers and Associate Professors

Subject: RE: Screening Questions for Tech Writers and Associate Professors
From: "Sarah Bane" <Sarah -dot- Bane -at- ProphetLine -dot- Com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:59:32 -0500

Yikes! I see your point, John. I should have known better than to use the
term "trivia"...not that there's anything wrong with trivia...I certainly do
not think that style manuals are trivial. (Ask my students who think I have
the MLA and APA manuals memorized.)

However, I think more useful information would be obtained by asking the
candidate a question such as "Which style guide(s) have you used?" instead
of simply asking him/her to name some of them. The answer would reveal
whether the person knows that style guides exist and has the general idea
how to use them.

Sarah Bane
Technical Writer, ProphetLine, Inc.
and Adjunct Instructor, Westark College
sarah -dot- bane -at- prophetline -dot- com
sbane -at- systema -dot- westark -dot- edu

Opinions expressed are my own and not endorsed by ProphetLine or by Westark.