initial caps in steps and bulleted lists

Subject: initial caps in steps and bulleted lists
From: "Laurie Little" <llittle -at- idirect -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:27:25 -0400

I'm reviewing a set of documents, and keep encountering the same issue.

The writer uses a partial sentence to introduce a list, then treats each
bullet/step as a continuance of this sentence; i.e. each starts with
lowercase.
Example:

To do ...., you should:
* do this
* do that
* do the other thing

Fine and dandy, but what about when the bullet/step is long and involves
another sentence? Example:

To do ..., you should:
* do this, then do that. If you do the other thing, ...
* seek counsel. Otherwise, ...
* ask for help on techwr-l. You'll find the answers there. But be sure to
check the archives first!

Shouldn't the bullet/step then be treated as any other paragraph, and start
with uppercase?

I polled some of our other writers, and they agree with me, but I haven't
found any reference to back it up. Is this just a matter of preference, as
long as it's used consistently, or is there a grammatical rule?

Thanks heaps,
Laurie