Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Tech Writer screening questions
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:20:43 -0700

Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com> wrote:

>What sort of questions would distinguish an experienced technical writer
>from a beginner?

Some of the replies you've already have point out what I would
have said: unlike with engineers, you can't assume a general body
of knowledge for tech-writers. Rather than looking for exact
answers, identify general areas, and judge the answers by the
depth in which they are answered.

About the only exception I can think of is is a description of
production with a print house - but even that might not be
general knowledge, since many writers may have only done on-line
work.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"And if they waste nothing, they can keep their little pile,
And if they say nothing, they will not be on file,
And if they see nothing, no one shall see them,
No one will take down their name."
- Oysterband, "Flatlands"