Re: Structure vs Substance?

Subject: Re: Structure vs Substance?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com>, Techwrl-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dan Emory wrote:
>> Andrew Plato wrote:
>> Are you kidding? Most departments already are totally devoid of process,
>> even the ones that think they have it. I have yet to see a programming team
>> that follows their own specifications.
> >
>> Many departments are forced to deal with whims. Be that the whims of some
>> manager, the whims of fate, or the whims of users. Whatever the case rigid,
>> unflappable processes are not well suited to whims. Unfortunately (or
>> fortunately) today's economy is all about whims. The hot, wild crazy thing
>> of today is the forgotten nothing of tomorrow.
>
> And your description above. Is that what your "New Economy" all about?
> If that reflects your view of the future, where whimsy rules, then:

No Dan - I did not say that.

> Whimsy = Entropy = The ultimate state reached in the degradation of
> the matter and energy in the Universe = Nothingness

Dan, don't open this door because you'll regret it.

But just so we're clear about one thing: all things in the universe are on
their respective way to death and nothingness - including your documentation
processes. You can't stop that no matter how much you complain.

> In the Real World, rules, process, and structure are the proven ways to
> combat
> organizational entropy. Your world view, and that of the other quacks who
> yak on about the New this and the New that, is dominated by an insane
> belief that Entropy = Freedom.

No, Dan, intelligence, human intelligence is what combats disorder in the
workplace. Also, structure is actually naturally occurring. Life (a very
complex structure itself) exists because some structures can self-replicate
themselves. Now, if you're telling me that you and Tim Altom have invented a
process that can write documents on its own - well, then I am interested.

Entropy is not synonymous with nothingness or chaos. Entropy is a naturally
occurring aspect of all reactions in the universe. All interactions between
chemicals (matter) either consume or give off energy. Some of this energy is
lost to entropy. Chaos and freedom and also not interchangeable concepts. Chaos
does not equal freedom. Freedom is a political, social concept. Chaos is a
more universal concept.

So, can you see the philosophical and metaphysical picker-bush your walking
into here? Are you prepared to argue about the nature of the universe and how
chaos works?

Perhaps you should read James Glick's book "Chaos". Then we can talk.

Also, Dan - the "New" this has to happen sometime. Otherwise we would be still
living in caves.

Andrew Plato

I sit there beside myself: http://members.home.com/aplato

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!