RE: Printers

Subject: RE: Printers
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: 'Win Day' <winday -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:20:29 -0400

1) If you are providing a file for a service bureau, follow their printer
requirements, period.

2) If you want to have well-formed PDFs or expect assistance troubleshooting
Acrobat woes, use the prescribed Adobe printer drivers and PPDs. Period.

3) If you want both of the above, do it twice: create one for your service
bureau and one for distribution/troubleshooting.

As an aside, I provided PS print files for my service bureau, using their
requirements for printer driver and settings. The service bureau didn't need
or want PDF. However, I distilled the PDF so I could double check the PS
print file I was sending. This worked out okay. However, if I had trouble
with the PDF, or wanted to distribute the PDF as an online doc, I would only
use the Adobe printer drivers and PPD. Note, I would never say that you
cannot use a PS printer driver than the Adobe one and, indeed, know several
circumstances where the Adobe ones fall down. However, in a general
discussion about creating PDFs in general I find and feel it most accurate
and best to say: use Adobe's stuff.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com