Re: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamweaver??

Subject: Re: Web Software to use? Beyond Press, FrontPage, Dreamweaver??
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:03:02 -0400

At 10:44 AM 6/9/2000 -0500, John Prince wrote:

My advice is to not use *any* of these. Instead, buy yourself a book on HTML
("HTML 4.0 Unleashed" is a good start) and learn HTML. Then do it all in
Notepad.

I'm hoping you mean "...do it all in any generic text editor" and not literally to use Notepad. I use TextPad on Windows <http://www.textpad.com> and find it useful, mainly because of the HTML syntax colorization (adds to readability), balancing (closing brackets, parentheses, and stuff like that), and macro language. It also has links to HTML syntax-checking packages, which is especially useful when you're learning HTML.

On the Mac side, I use BBEdit <http://www.barebones.com>, which not only does all of that but also has an integrated HTML syntax checker, plus a lot of built-in automation for creating some common page elements.

None of these features will interfere with the "pure learning experience," I think, but they'll go a long way to helping you swim through code without losing productivity...

Hope this is useful for someone,
----->Mike